How to add a Comments column to Hyperion Planning Webforms and Reports

You may also like...

11 Responses

1. Eric says:

Hi, It’s a good idea, but I’ve an issue whith period as chosen dimension for your comment purpose. It’s not really bad, bud If you have 3 plans, very different in their use, the comment period will be seen in all of them.
    I may choose an other one whith security filtering such as Scenario or Version

2. ludodepaz says:

Hi Eric, thank you for sharing your experience. I understand your issue: the problem if you use Scenario or Version is that it is not super convenient when you build your webforms as these 2 dimensions are generally in page. Also, you might have issues when you want to copy a Scenario to another (like Budget to Forecast) or a version to another (Working to Final).

• Eric says:

You’re right too.
      There are many solutions such as dynamic user variables in order to choose version or scenario.

3. Aaron S. says:

Good information, thank you doctor!

4. Chinmay says:

One issue with commenting in Hyperion is with Multi-line commenting. As Hyperion stores these comments in Html format, If I have a comment like :

Test1
    Test2
    Test3

It displays as
    Test1Test2 etc… in FR ..

• ludodepaz says:

Hi Chinmay,

you can have several lines, you need to do like with MS Excel: Alt + Enter.

Text with 2 lines

• Chinmay says:

Sorry, I think you misunderstood me. Issue is we can enter multi-line comment using smartview or web. We can show it in financial report as well. Report will show comments correctly when opened in Web, but if we export that report in Excel or if we open that report using R&A connection of smartview it just shows comments with all HTML tags.

5. Ed Fitzpatrick says:

Thank you for this information. Do comments need to be entered at lowest level in the hierarchy (similar to how we enter expenses)? We normally do analysis at a higher level….

• ludodepaz says:

Thanks for your comment!
      I always enter data at the lowest level.
      Text and comments do not aggregate.
      If your upper levels are “Stored” and not “Dynamic Calc” you can enter comments at this level but it seems risky.
      I heard that third party solutions like CXO Cockpit allow some kind of Comment aggregation.

6. Aamer says:

Hello,

Is there any way to increase the cell_text varchar(255). The descriptions I need to enter the forms are well over 256 characters and cannot reduce. Currently pulling in text in reports through same technique you have described in the article.

Is there any solution or direction you can point me towards? I would highly appreciate it!

Regards,
    Aamer

• ludodepaz says:

Hi!
      I don’t know a way to increase the cell_text varchar(255) without voiding the warranty and risking to break the system.

The only thing I can think of is to create several “Periods” to store your comments, not the prettiest thing I agree.

thanks for commenting!